Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX), also known as co-trimoxazole among other names, is an antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. It consists of one part trimethoprim to five parts sulfamethoxazole. It is used for urinary tract infections, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) skin infections, travelers' diarrhea, respiratory tract infections, and cholera, among others. It may be used both to treat and prevent pneumocystis pneumonia and toxoplasmosis in people with HIV/AIDS and other causes of immunosuppression. It can be given by mouth or intravenously.
- Per Zolmed cap Co-trimoxazole: Sulfamethoxazole (SMZ) 400 mg & trimethoprim (TM) 80 mg.
- Per 5 mL Zolmed susp SMZ 200 mg & TM 40 mg.
- Per Zolmed Forte tab SMZ 800 mg & TM 160 mg.
- Per 5 mL Zolmed Forte susp SMZ 400 mg & TM 80 mg
Indications: UTI, bactericidal, resp tract & GI infections, Pneumocystis carinii infection, prophylaxis in neutropenic patients, genital & miscellaneous infections.
- Zolmed cap Adult 1-2 cap 12 hrly.
- Zolmed susp or Zolmed Forte susp Childn 6-12 yr 1 tsp (5 mL) tid.
- Zolmed Forte tab Adult 1 tab 12 hrly.
Should be taken with food.